Talkin' trash to the garbage around me.

15 November, 2006

Color me intrigued

I'll first admit that I'm a Beatles ho - I'm a sucker anything Beatles related. Not only do I own all three volumes of The Beatles Anthology, but I regularly listen to them - even the first one. However, this new project I find this new project genuinely compelling:
The Beatles’ “Love” album being released on Tuesday is a thorough reinterpretation of their work, with familiar sounds in unfamiliar places, primarily created by the son of the man who was in the control room for virtually all of their recording sessions.

It’s a mashup, even though Giles Martin said he hates the word. John Lennon sings “he’s a real nowhere man” in the background of the instrumental track to “Blue Jay Way.” The keyboard of “Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite” dissolves into the plodding guitar of “I Want You (She’s So Heavy).”

“Strawberry Fields Forever” builds from Lennon’s acoustic demo into a psychedelic swirl of sounds that incorporates bits of “Hello Goodbye,” “Baby You’re a Rich Man,” “Penny Lane” and “Piggies.”

The project was created for a collaboration with Cirque du Soleil and has the endorsement of Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and the widows of Lennon and George Harrison, Martin said.

>snip<

The rules were simple: Beatles tracks only, no electronic distortion of what they recorded, and no newly recorded music. The single exception was a string arrangement, written by original Beatles producer George Martin, to accompany an acoustic version of Harrison’s “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.”
Purists, of course, are already upset, complaining that it will taint the legacy of the Beatles. I have no problem with what the article calls "mash-ups," or post-modern cut-and-paste production. Let's face it, no future human will mistake the milking of the Beatles cash cow forty-years gone for Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, or Hard Day's Night. The results of this particular project, however, could be interesting.

Labels: ,