Talkin' trash to the garbage around me.

20 May, 2008

Photobucket

Astute readers of the medulla noodle ("noodlologists" I've heard is the preferred nomenclature) will note that this is the first time in this blog's two-and-a-half-year existence that I've neglected to title a post. Seriously, if you want to search the archives, I'll wait...

if you're lost you can look--and you will find me
time after time
if you fall I will catch you--I'll be waiting (oh, I'll be waiting!)
time after time


See? Tolja.

Where was I? Ah yes, there's a first time for everything. There's also a last time.

If we were to be brutally honest with ourselves, I think we'd have to admit that there's a certain amount of conceit that goes into the decision to start blogging. For us to click "publish" and lay bare for anyone who wants to read it, there has to be the belief that we have something to say that someone wants to hear. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that when I started this blog I thought a lot of people would want to read what I had to write. I'll fully 'fess up to initially having a narcissistic attitude during this blog's first year.

Things change, though, and as I figured out my own bloggy voices and who my audience was (you, natch), medulla noodle became a much more personal project to me. It allowed me to indulge parts of my self that didn't normally get expressed, to entertain people, to keep in touch with friends. I put a lot of creative and emotional energy into this blog - probably more than I should have - and I'm very proud of what I've written here in the last few years.

However, on top of the narcissism, I've also wanted to create a site where people would come almost every day to see what was new. And that's tough to do solo, more so when you're also committed to more important things beyond the blogosphere. Over the last twelve months, I haven't been able to commit as much energy to the noodle as I would've liked, and I think the writing is on the proverbial wall.

It's with a sad heart that I tell you that medulla noodle will from here on out be on "irregular hiatus." The blog's not going anywhere, and I'll keep it sporadically updated, if just for the purpose of making sure the archives stick around. But as of this post, the substantive writing here is done.

I have no problem imagining any one of my grandparents (a more pious generation) lecturing me that "God doesn't close a door without opening a window." I'm not one to subscribe to supernatural deities intervening in human affairs. I'm closing the door. But I'm also, with some help, opening a new window.

As sad as it makes me to mothball the noodle, I'm more than excited to say that I'll be blogging with four people who've been hugely important to me both professionally and personally at Organizing Grievances. All four are first rate thinkers, incredible activists, and most importantly, great friends. On top of that, they're fantastic writers. So not only can you keep up on what I have to blab on about on any given day (and PRM, Bambino Blogging, and Douchebaggery will all be heading there), you can also make the acquaintance of a few more of the talented denizens of soviet blogistan.

Thank you so much for reading. I hope we'll see you at the OG.