Talkin' trash to the garbage around me.

20 February, 2007

I'm not sure I follow

I was struck by this AP report (it's Salon, so wait for the ad):
Iran has brought its war games maneuvers over the past year into busy shipping lanes in the Straits of Hormuz, the narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf through which two-fifths of the world's oil supplies pass, the top U.S. Navy commander in the Mideast said.

The moves have alarmed U.S. officials about possible accidental confrontations that could boil over into war, and led to a recent build-up of Navy forces in the Gulf, Vice Adm. Patrick Walsh said in an interview with The Associated Press and other reporters.

So let me see if I can follow this logic:
  1. The Persian Gulf and the Straits of Hormuz are crowded
  2. Iran is holding naval war games in these crowded waters
  3. These war games pose the threat of starting an "accidental confrontation that could boil over into war"
  4. Presumably to counter the threat of an accidental confrontation, the U.S. Navy has sent more warships into the already crowded Persian Gulf

The Bushies aren't even pretending to hide their bloodlust these days.

Labels: , , ,