Talkin' trash to the garbage around me.

17 November, 2006

'Tis the season for edible abominations

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is the first Thanksgiving since I've lived in Eugene where an invited guest to a feast we're hosting hasn't queried, "So, who's bringing the Tofurkey?" As we speak, Tofurkey's are currently taking up valuable shelf space in supermarkets that might otherwise be useful in stocking food products that are actually edible. Now I don't have anything against the much-maligned tofu. I eat it often and find it to be a really versatile source of protein. Indeed, I can't imagine a nice Thai green curry without it.

But Tofurkey is a crime. They've taken a perfectly acceptable soy product, added a horrible fake turkey taste to it, and cooked it to a consistency that resembles a pencil eraser. On top of that, this foul slab of processed soy has the unpleasant personal associations of relationships past. So to my vegetarian and vegan brothers and sisters out there: there are plenty of lovely recipes out there for some absolutely outstanding tofu roasts which would make a wonderful turkey substitute for your Thanksgiving spread. Please, please, please cook one of these rather than shelling out your hard earned $20 for that culinary abomination that is the Tofurkey.

I will, however, say that the tempeh drumettes are delectable.

Labels: