Talkin' trash to the garbage around me.

05 October, 2006

Scandal fatigue

Look, I know the Foley thing is going to be dragged on through the election, but I just wanted to get this of my chest. I hope I'm not the only one who's more than just a little dismayed that close to 2800 dead in an illegal war, a forgotten mass murderer, a destroyed city, growing economic inequality, and a blind eye turned towards an imminent ecological disaster couldn't get the GOP enablers of BushCo punted out, but a Republican congressman who took advantage of his power and authority by sending creepily lewd and adolescent instant messages to Congressional pages will.

Bread and circuses for a Puritan America, it is.

And while I admit there's a certain poetic justice in watching the GOP getting hoisted on its own petard, did we really need this scandal to understand that a good many sanctimonious and self-righteous Republicans are fucking hypocrites when it comes down to "moral values"? I thought not.

Labels: ,