Talkin' trash to the garbage around me.

29 December, 2007

Stranger in a familiar land

We just got back in town from DC Tennessee [okay, I was tired when I originally wrote this]. I've lots to say about the trip in another post, but I wanted to just put up this brief bit.

On Monday, ms. wobs and I went out to pick up a few last minute gifts. At the Bed, Bath & Beyond in West Knoxville (read: sprawl that won't stop), we struck up a conversation with a sales associate about some glassware. He asked us where we were from. We hemmed and hawed for a few moments, saying something to the effect of "Well, that depends on how far back you want to go." We finally told him that we were currently living in DC. He responded with, "Oh, I wouldn't admit that I was from DC if I were from there."

His comment immediately stuck in ms. wobs' craw, and in retrospect, it kind of rankles my nerves as well. There are many, many places in these here United States that can justifiably diss on DC. Many. But Knoxville, Tennessee is not one of them.

BTW, if you haven't recommended some books to me yet, head here and add your selection.

Labels: ,