Talkin' trash to the garbage around me.

13 April, 2007

Strangest. Phone call. Ever.

Don't ever let it be said that we don't get entertaining phone calls at the union office. What follows is a rough transcript which, while not exact, certainly hews to the spirit of the conversation:
Me: Union office.

Caller: Uh, yeah... I have kind of a strange question.

Me: Okay.

Caller: Does your organization have socials?

Me: Yeah, we have end of term parties, our general membership meetings are kind of social occasions, we sponsor intramural teams...

Caller: Are these open to everyone?

Me: Uh, no. They're only for members, as we are using member money.

Caller: Oh, I see. What would you say the age range is in your organization?

Me: [becoming increasingly perplexed] Anywhere from 21 to 65. The bulk would be in their late 20s or early 30s, but it's a pretty diverse bunch.

Caller: Okay, I see. Oh, this is weird. Where would you suggest that a young Asian man in his late twenties go to meet people... no, young women from 22, 23 to their early 30s?

Me: [...]

Caller: I know it's a strange question.

Me: Well, there's the bar scene.

Caller: [laughs] Uh, no. Are there other graduate organizations on campus where he could meet people?

Me: It's a university, there's lots of organizations. I suppose he could go to lectures to meet people who are interested in similar things.

Caller: Uh huh, I see. So, uh, where would you go to meet people?

Me: I'm married.

Caller: Oh, okay. Well, thanks for your help!

Me: No problem.

I suppose I should note that the caller was a woman seemingly calling on behalf of said young Asian male. You don't get that everyday.

Labels: