Talkin' trash to the garbage around me.

19 July, 2006

Upgrade!

Boy, howdy. Call today my lucky day.
  1. At PDX, I had to get my seat assignment at the gate. Just as I was reaching the desk, they announce that they need volunteers for an overbooked flight. I think, "Hell, I don't have to be in Boston at any particular time." Boom, free ticket, first class to Chicago, stand-by for one flight that's booked (no guarantee of first class), a first class ticket for a later flight if I want.
  2. I get to Chicago and go to the gate for my stand-by flight. Just as I arrive, I hear my name called for the stand-by list. First class again! Score!
  3. So now I get to Boston, kinda drunk from all the free booze. I go to claim my luggage (which was kept on my original itinerary) and find out that had I not volunteered to be bumped, I would've spent a loooooooong time in Denver, as my original plane was delayed for mechanical reasons. So I beat my luggage to Boston.
  4. I get to the hotel, and because they don't have any "normal" rooms, I'm upgraded to a suite. Can this trip get any better? But wait...
  5. I go to the bar for a few before bed alcoholic beverages and strike up a conversation with the bartender, who notices my Netherlands jersey. We talk soccer, I find out he's from Eugene... boom, drinks on the house.
I know somewhere along the line I'm going to pay for this.